Saturday, January 21, 2006

Jackal's Farm Life.

I am the new farm hand here and my name is Black. I never wanted to go to school and I consider myself lucky to get a job on Jackal's Farm.

Now I can provide something for my parents. But I have to work hard. I am up before the sun rises and often get to bed by midnight after finishing the day' work.

Farm life is not easy. I have to use cow and chicken manure to fertilize the fields. I have worked here for seven years but still find the smell of this manure nauseating. But I can't let the boss know about it. Sometimes I get agitated but the needs of my family has kept me going.

Fortunately, the muddy season when you are knee deep in the mud doesn't last for too long. But there is no shortage of work here, whatever the season. As if my work here isn't enough, I have to be a guide to day tourist visitors who find farm life quite fascinating. I show them the best of what this farm can offer, from how you milk farm animals to the robust plantations.

Over the years this work has become more than a job to me, it is my existence.

No comments: